Hello. We use cookies on this website
to help us and our partners improve
your browsing experience. More Info
Manage Cookies Close

Holes in timber caused by woodworm

Frequently asked questions

If you have any questions you want to ask, don’t hesitate to contact us. We’ve answered some FAQs below but are always happy to help out if you want to give us a call, especially if you’re in Nottingham or the surrounding areas.

You might not be sure what to do about mould in your building, or a strange musty smell, but we’re here to help with our damp proofing. You may also want to know if your house is suitable for a cellar conversion. It’s a great way to add extra space to your home!

A decaying wall

Answering your questions on cellar conversions

Q. Is my property suitable for a cellar conversion?

A. All types of properties are suitable for cellar conversions. Whether your existing basement is large or small – or even if it has a stream running through it! Call or email us with some rough measurements and we will be able to guide you to the best solution.

Q. How do you make sure the basement stays dry?

A. Following a site survey, our experienced surveyors will recommend one of a range of water-proofing solutions which is most suited to your home. In some cases structural waterproofing, or tanking, will provide an excellent result and a very cost-effective solution. In the majority of situations, however, we will achieve excellent results with the installation of high density polyethylene membranes, which are impervious to water and vapour, to create a permanent cavity between the new internal shell and the existing structure. Damp and water are then allowed to run freely behind the membrane to be collected in specially constructed gutters hidden in the floor, before being safely and silently pumped away. Because this membrane is never wet, unlike a tanked wall, decoration can begin immediately with no need to wait for drying.

Q. Could the conversion damage my foundations?

A. Wherever there is the slightest risk to the structural integrity of your property, our surveyors will call in additional expert assistance from structural engineers. If underpinning or any other type of strengthening is required we will bring this to your attention before any work is carried out and quote accordingly. All our work is fully insured.

Q. What about building regulations?

A. We want your basement conversion to be useful, enjoyable and to add value to your home, so you may rest assured that any work carried out by Baggaley & Jenkins (Remedials) Ltd will adhere to any relevant Building Regulations and will be carried out strictly within the guidelines of British Standard 8102 (1990). Escape routes, ventilation, damp proofing, electrical wiring and water supplies will all be properly supplied and installed.

Q. Is planning permission necessary?

A. Planning permission is not needed for a cellar conversion in the vast majority of cases, unless you intend to use the new space as a garage or business premises. Planning permission may be needed if the property is a listed building, or is in a Conservation Area, and we would always recommend checking with your Local Authority Building Control department for an opinion. We will give any assistance we can to obtain any permission required. The Party Wall Act of 1996 may also apply to you, requiring that you inform your neighbours of the work intended. Rest assured that our conversion projects are carried out strictly within the guidelines of British Standard 8102 (1990).

Q. What are the alternatives?

A. To gain the extra space you require, one alternative might be to move house. However, aside from the disruption to your life, the costs involved will usually far outweigh the cost of even an extensive cellar conversion – and, where the conversion will add value to your home, and allow you to stay in your current property, a house move will involve the expenditure of thousands of pounds in solicitors’ fees, estate agents’ fees, and stamp duty, none of which offers any return on your investment. Otherwise, you might choose to extend or to consider a loft conversion, but either of these will certainly require planning permission and will reduce either your upstairs space - to provide a staircase to the loft - or your garden.

Stairs going down into a modern kitchen

Providing the answers for property repair

Q. What type of property repair and protection do you provide?

A. We can eradicate problems caused by wet rot, dry rot, woodworm, mould and condensation. We have expertise in all work to do with damp proofing and offer a multi-trade service that includes all building work – plumbing, electrical and decorating.

Q. Are you qualified to carry out all the work?

A. Yes, we are highly experienced and fully trained to carry out all remedial repairs to buildings. We are members of the PCA (Property Care Association), which means we are qualified to carry out damp proofing and treatments for wet rot, dry rot, condensation and woodworm. We are also an EEM (Efficiency East Midlands Ltd) nominated contractor and offer GPI (Guaranteed Protection Insurance) to help give you peace of mind.

Q. What should I do if I think the building has any damp?

A. The earlier you catch the problem, the less expensive it will be for you as less damage will be done to your building. You should contact specialists immediately. A thorough survey will be taken and you will be informed of the damage caused by dampness, mould and fungi and all possible options to rectify it. We’ll give you honest advice and competitive quotes on the work that would be required to ensure that your property is safe and sound.

If you have any further questions or want to speak to the experts, give us a
Call on 01623 634 550

© hibu (UK) Limited2018  All rights reserved.  

Conditions of use |Privacy Policy |Cookie Policy